Image Gallery Assets
Image gallery assets create a slideshow of images to be used on your website, with each image having its own title, caption, description, and link. As part of the LDP module, image gallery assets require LDP to be purchased and activated before they can be created in your site.
How image galleries appear on your website depends on your site design and styling.
Creating an image gallery asset is a two-step process. First, create the asset, where you fill out basic information. Then, upload the images into the asset and sort and caption them before saving and publishing.
To create an image gallery asset:
- Navigate to Content > Assets.
- Click the green +New button.
- Select "Image Gallery."
- An asset name is required. Description and tags are optional, but tags can make it easier to find when searching for an asset to place on a page. Checking "Lock to site" means the asset can only be used in the site where it was created.
- Set access settings for the asset if desired.
- Set the gallery options. These determine how the image gallery thumbnails would display. While the default image gallery has thumbnails, your galleries might display differently, depending on your website styling or even which page they are placed on.
- Maximum Thumbnail Size: Customize the max height and width of the thumbnails. The max value for each is 500 pixels.
- Thumbnail Preview: The gray placeholder box shows the size and aspect ratio you are setting. Use the dotted-line edge to adjust, if desired.
- Thumbnail Aspect Ratio: Most likely, the images added to the gallery won't fit the thumbnail dimensions. The aspect ratio determines how they are resized to create the thumbnail. "Original" keeps the proportions of the image and resizes it so the longest dimension meets the max thumbnail dimension. "Crop" resizes the image so the shortest dimension meets the max thumbnail dimension, and then crops from the center of the image.
- Advanced: Additional XML can be added here.
- Click Create to make the asset.
- The "Images" panel is now available.
- Click +Add to upload photos to your gallery, or drag them into the window from your computer. There is no option to use images already in OU Campus; you must have the images you want to use as files you can upload.
- These images also cannot be edited once uploaded, so make sure they are cropped or otherwise modified appropriately beforehand.
- For each image, add a title, description, caption, and click-through link. The only required field is description, for accessibility purposes. Depending on your gallery styling, not all of these fields will be used.
- Images can be removed by clicking the "X" in the top-right of each image box.
- The order that the images are placed within the gallery determines the order they display on a page. To change the order of the pictures, drag and drop them into place.
- Once finished, click Save.
Your asset is now available for use on pages, but must be published before it appears on any live web pages.
Image gallery assets can be inserted onto pages as other asset types are. However, they are often integrated into page designs through page parameters. This can include using page parameters to decide whether the gallery displays as a thumbnail gallery or a slide show, turning on or off a slider region that uses an image gallery, or directly choosing which image gallery is used in the page.
Once created, all aspects of an image gallery asset can be edited, save for the pictures in slides. If you want to change the image for a slide, then you must create a new slide, upload the new image, and copy over or write any relevant information.