OU Insights (or Insights) runs reports for SEO strength, accessibility compliance, links, and spelling on your website.
Because Insights checks your live website and not the staging server, Insights can scan pages that aren't managed by OU Campus. However, pages not managed by OU Campus won't be editable in OU Campus, even if scanned by Insights.
Configuring InsightsLink to this section
Once Insights has been purchased, it must be turned on for the site or sites it is meant to scan. To set Insights up:
- Navigate to Setup > Sites > Edit Site > Optional Features.
- Check the box next to "Insights."
- Click "Configure."
- Set up Insights with the following fields:
- Frequency: How often you want Insights to scan your site.
- Run Every: If "Daily" or "Weekly" are selected for frequency, specify the interval at which you want Insights to scan. If "Monthly" is selected, specify a day of the month for the scan to run. If you use a day of the month higher than the number of days in a specific month, (e.g. 31), then the scan defaults to running on the last day of that month.
- Access Group: The group that can view the Insights module. This group also receives an email report from Insights each time it scans the site. Users levels 9 and 10 always have access to Insights regardless of this setting, but won't receive the email reports if they're not part of the access group.
- Directory Index: To scan pages properly, Insights needs to know what your index pages are called (e.g.
default.aspx). Enter this value here to tell Insights what to add to a URL that ends with a
/, such as
http://gallena.edu/academics/. When browsers request these links, the server returns a page based on this setting's configuration (e.g.,
Common directory index values are
default.aspx. Because server configurations allow for multiple directory index values, you can add multiple comma-separated values in the field. Insights looks for pages in the order the values are written. For example, if
index.html,index.phpis entered, Insights first searches for files ending in
index.html, and if it doesn't find
index.htmlin a given directory, it then searches for
- Click "Save" for your changes to take effect.
Insights scans all sites between 7 PM and 2 AM Pacific Time, so if you have just configured your module you won't see any results from a scan until after that time. It scans first that night, and then runs on the interval you have specified. This first scan is the most intensive, as it must fully index your entire site, and takes from hours up to a day to run.
If you are a self-hosted customer, you may need to open additional ports on your server to allow Insights to make outbound connections. Please coordinate with OmniUpdate staff or send in a support ticket for more information.
Scanning PagesLink to this section
OU Insights automatically scans every production page managed by OU Campus. In addition, an optional file named
insights.txt can be generated on the production server at the top level of the site. This file serves to supplement the list of scanned pages with other URLs that you may want scanned.
All pages that return a valid response from the server (e.g. an HTTP Status Code of 200) can be included. To add more pages to the list, edit
insights.txt and add the full URL of each page that needs to be scanned. Save the file, and when Insights runs its next scan, the new files should appear in the reports. Do not rename or move
insights.txt, as Insights won't find the list of pages to scan otherwise.
In addition, URLs can be added to
insights.txt to exclude them from the scan. To indicate a URL is to be removed, add a "-" before it. For example, this excludes the path to an individual page:
The text below excludes everything in the folder (including all sub-folders):
Folder exclusions must include a trailing slash at the end to indicate it is a folder.
When a page or folder is excluded, it isn't scanned by Insights even if other pages link to it.
Below is a sample of what
insights.txt might contain in the fictional Gallena University:
The above entries result in the following:
- Because Insights is installed in gallena.edu, all pages under that domain are scanned with the exception of those in the _resources and _archive folder.
- In addition, the internal.html pages in the biology and English folders are not scanned.
- The specified pages on the external domain cfa-gallena.edu are also scanned.
Comments can be included by prefacing them with
//. These lines will be ignored.
ReportingLink to this section
Insights scans your site according to four metrics: SEO, Accessibility, Links, and Spelling. These reports, as well as an aggregated site score, are available at Reports > Insights. The higher the number, the better the score. The four report scores are calculated using an internal algorithm based off of the number of issues identified across the site, and the site score is an average of these.
Click on the site score box to see a graph of the site score over time. Clicking on the Site Score box opens a box which shows the overall Site Score over time.
Viewing each report shows you the full results of that report. These results include which pages need to be edited to solve the issues. Reports, either the individual or the site report, can be shared to other users as long as they have access to Insights as well. Sharing the report contains a basic summary and a link to the full report.
Use a site publish using "Last Publish Version" to assign an "Edit Page" link to any pages in your site that are missing one.
A report lists each discovered issue with all affected pages underneath. Each page has the option to edit the page or view the full page report (see the section below). Pages not managed in the site being scanned, and pages that were last published before Insights was installed, won't have the "Edit Page" link.
Because Insights scans the page on your live website, it may turn up errors that do not actually appear on the corresponding page in OU Campus, but instead on an include or other file that is incorporated into the page content on publish. For example, if Insights shows a broken link on every single page in your site, it's extremely likely that broken link is in the site header or footer. To fix errors like this, you have to modify the include or other file, not the page.
Once you fix an error, the reports won't reflect that change until the next time Insights scans your site.
SEO, or search engine optimization, has four subsections: Titles, Descriptions, Heading Tags, and Keywords.
Titles runs four reports:
- Duplicate Titles: All pages that have the same title as one or more other pages in the site.
- Missing Titles: All pages that don't have a title.
- Long Titles: All pages with titles longer than seventy characters.
- Short Titles: All pages with titles shorter than ten characters.
Descriptions runs four reports:
- Duplicate Descriptions: All pages that have the same description as one or more other pages in the site.
- Missing Descriptions: All pages that don't have a description.
- Long Descriptions: All pages with descriptions longer than 160 pages.
- Short Descriptions: All pages with descriptions shorter than seventy characters.
Heading Tags relates to the hierarchy of headings in your page code (
<h2>, etc.). It runs two reports:
- Duplicate H1 Headings: All pages that have the same content wrapped inside an
<h1>tag as one or more other pages on the site.
- Missing H1 Headings: All pages that don't have any
Keywords lists all keywords found in the site. This report doesn't show pages in the results, just the number of times each word is used. Keyword for pages are edited under page parameters.
Accessibility has two subsections, Known Problems and Likely Problems. It uses the accessibility standard set in account settings to review pages. In the reports, each problem is listed along with a repair and the page(s) that contain that problem.
Known problems are issues with the page HTML that are verified to cause an accessibility issue.
Likely problems are issues that commonly cause accessibility issues, but need review to be confirmed.
If you have accessibility check exceptions, the excepted problems won't appear in the report.
Links lists all broken links found in the scanned pages.
Spelling lists all misspelled words found in the scanned pages. Users can add words to the custom dictionary by clicking "Add to Dictionary" at the top of the section.
Page Reports runs detailed reports on a single page, listing all issues found in that page. When you open page reports, you see the files and folders of your site. Click on a folder to open it and see the files inside. Click on a page to view the report for it.
Each page report lists general information about the page, including its version number and the last users to publish and save it (these last two only being available for pages managed in OU Campus). It then displays the SEO, Accessibility, Links, and Spelling results for that page.
If the page is managed in OU Campus, a green Edit Page button appears in the top-right corner. Click this to directly edit the page.