Groups are used to set up access settings, as only members of an assigned group can access the content in question. While a single user can belong to as many groups as necessary, access settings to a particular location or feature can only be assigned to one group at a time.
From Setup > Groups, administrators create and manage groups for the account. By default, every account has a group called "Everyone" that contains every user in the account; this group cannot be modified or deleted. The "(Level 10 Administrators Only)" group automatically includes every level 10 user, and also cannot be modified or deleted.
To create a new group:
- Navigate to Setup > Groups.
- Click the green +New button.
- Enter a name for the group. This cannot be changed later. Group names can contain lowercase letters, uppercase letters, numerals 0 through 9, underscores, hyphens, spaces, and periods, and must be between two and thirty-two characters long. Two groups cannot have the same name.
- Select users to add them to the group. A group can contain as few as one or as many as all users.
- Click Save.
- Navigate to Setup > Users.
- Select the users you want to be in the group.
- Click "Create Group" in the blue table header.
- Enter a name for the group. This cannot be changed later.
- If necessary, add or remove further users.
- Click Save.
Hover over a group and select Edit, or click on the group name, to edit it. Select which users you want to add to or remove from the group.
When multiple groups are selected, the "Add Users" option appears in the blue table header. Select this to add multiple users to all groups simultaneously. Users cannot be removed via this option.
The other two options available when hovering over a group are Copy and Delete.
Copying a group creates a new group with the membership of the original. Before saving the new group, you have the option to change the group name and add or remove group members.
Deleting a group is a permanent action and cannot be undone.