All gadgets for the account can be managed from Setup > Gadgets. Each gadget can have access assigned to it; some gadgets have additional properties that can be configured. Custom gadgets are also added here.
For each gadget, hover over it and click Edit, or click the gadget name, to see the gadget information.
- Name: The gadget name.
- URL: Any custom gadgets have their URL location listed.
- Types: Whether the gadget appears on the dashboard, gadgets sidebar, or both.
- Available To: Choose a group that has access to using this gadget.
- Display Option: Choose whether the gadget is always on for users, or on or off by default. If default on or off, users can choose whether or not they want it from either the dashboard or gadgets sidebar controls.
- Properties: If the gadget has any additional settings, they appear here.
The gadgets with properties that can be set are:
- Page Parameters: Hide or display the metadata section (title, description, and tags) of page parameters in the gadget.
- Request Help: Choose which group receives a request for help from users via this gadget, and whether a copy is sent to their email or not.
- Snippets: Choose which group can preview the source code of snippets in the gadget.
- YouTube: Choose which group can search for videos across all of YouTube in the gadget, as opposed to the channels connected to OU Campus.
Multiple groups can have their access group modified at once by selecting them and clicking "Access" in the blue table header.
Adding Custom GadgetsLink to this section
Once a custom gadget has been created, it can be added to OU Campus. This requires the URL where the OU Campus-specific gadget file structure has been uploaded to, so that the data an be fetched.
To add a custom gadget:
- Navigate to Setup > Gadgets.
- Click the green +New button.
- Enter the full URL of the gadget folder, starting with http:// or https:// and ending with a slash /. This should be the location of the HTML index or a generated HTML file that includes the gadget scripting. The folder should also contain the config.xml for the gadget.
- Click Fetch.
- Enter the gadget name, access settings, display option, and any properties.
- Click Save.
The gadget is immediately available for use in the dashboard and gadgets sidebar.