Send to Facebook
The Send to Facebook feature allows authorized users to automatically send wall posts to Facebook Pages. This feature enables users to create wall posts from OU Campus in conjunction with the creation or update of content, which can occur on an immediate or scheduled basis. In addition, users can link to multiple Facebook Pages and publish to only the desired pages.
When a page is being published or scheduled for publish, it is possible to send a wall post to any linked Facebook Pages. Additionally, the linked Facebook Pages can be set up to use an OU Social Facebook Application, which gives the ability to have a landing page on the linked Facebook Page.
To learn how to set up a Facebook Page and additional information on Facebook Pages, see: Facebook Setup.
While all users with publishing rights can be granted the ability to send a wall post to Facebook when publishing a page, Level 10 administrators need to perform the initial configuration for the social media publish within OU Campus. The OU Campus administrator can configure Facebook Pages for OU Campus from Setup > Facebook. After the initial configuration is completed, the login information for the Facebook account is not needed again unless the password for the account changes.
Note: This feature does not insert any content from the page being published into the Facebook post.
Adding Default Text for Facebook
At the account level and for each site, default text can be added so that it will be available to users at the time of page publish or with a scheduled publish. To utilize Send to Facebook during page publish, Facebook account settings must be configured from Setup > Facebook.
At the Account Level
- Navigate to Setup > Account.
- Under the Publish Settings options, there is a field called Default Tweet/Wall Post.
- Enter a Default Tweet/Wall Post. This sets the default text for tweets and wall posts for the sites within an account, which can be used or edited at the time of page publish when the Send to Facebook checkbox is selected. This allows standardized text elements to be defined; for example, the hashtag or name for the institution might be included to help minimize typographical errors, or reinforce branding or trending topics. A maximum of 420 characters are allowed for Facebook.
- Click Submit to save changes.
Note: Keep in mind that the default text can be overridden at the site level or during page publish.
For a Site or Sites
The configuration of default text for sending to Facebook at the site level is similar to that of the account level.
- Navigate to Setup > Sites and click the Edit icon for the site.
- Under the Publish Settings options, define the Default Tweet/Wall Post. This sets the default text for tweets and wall posts for the sites within an account,
which can be used or edited at the time of page publish when the Send to Facebook checkbox is selected. This allows standardized text elements to be defined; for example,
the hashtag or name for the institution might be included to help minimize typographical
errors, or reinforce branding or trending topics. A maximum of 420 characters are
allowed for Facebook.
- Click Submit to save changes. Keep in mind that the default can be overridden during page publish.
Send to Facebook on Page Publish
Once Send to Facebook has been enabled in OU Campus, sending to Facebook can be accomplished at the time of page publish. Just above the final button to publish or schedule a page is a checkbox with the Facebook logo:
Selecting the Facebook checkbox reveals the Facebook options for publishing, which are:
- Wall Post: Default content added at the account or site level populates this field, but can be overridden.
- Add URL?: Check to enable the bitly.com URL shortener service.
- Which Facebook Pages?: If multiple facebook pages have been set up, select the checkbox for each Facebook page to be posted to. If only one page is set up, check the box for the page. Facebook pages need to added to a Facebook account first and then set up in OU Campus by and administrator.
Below that is a checkbox that will add a shortened link to the newly published page:
Example of Checkbox
Short URLs: The short URLs generated by bit.ly are unique to each specific file that is published. If a page is renamed or moved, the URL that was associated with that file will be invalid, and a new one will be generated when the page is sent to Facebook.