Using Quick Search
The Quick Search feature is a content search that allows the user to search for specific content on a page or within meta tags in order to easily navigate to pages that may need updates or to be reviewed. If a global change needs to be made, the Global Find and Replace option should be used, which is limited to Level 10 administrators only. Quick Search cannot be used for coding or regex searches, and it will only review files on the Staging Server.
By utilizing the Advanced Search option, it is possible to easily incorporate multiple criteria into the search without having to know the syntax, as well as to limit the search locations. Additionally, the Last Search option can be recalled and researched.
- To include additional search criteria without having to know the appropriate syntax to enter into the Quick Search, simply click on the Advanced Search option.
- Enter in the criteria to be searched making sure to make AND/OR selections appropriately.
- Page Path: Define the path where the expected content is to be found. A wildcard can be used to search folders within the defined path.
- Title: This will search the meta tags for the page titles.
- Keywords: This will search the meta tags for pages' keywords.
- Description: This will search the meta tags for the pages' descriptions.
- Other Meta: If other meta information is defined on pages being searched, this will search in those meta tags.
- Content: This will search the actual page content.
- Limit Search To Current Folder and Below: This will exclude any folders above the folder in which the user is currently located.
- Only Pages I Can Access: This will limit the search to any pages that are accessible to the user.
Search results in all cases are displayed when search is completed. There are two options from this screen.
- Navigate to the parent folder by clicking on the folder icon under the Folder column.
- Go to the page preview by clicking on the preview icon under the Preview column.
The results can be sorted by using the drop-down list found at the top, left-hand side of the screen. The default setting is Relevancy, which refers to the number of times the content being searched is found on the page. Additional sort options include:
- Path Asc (Path Ascending)
- Path Desc (Path Descending)
- Last Saved Asc (Last Saved Ascending)
- Last Saved Desc (Last Saved Descending)
It is possible to type in the syntax utilized by the Advanced Search directly into the Quick Search. When using the Advanced Search, the syntax will appear in the Quick Search field once the "Search" button is clicked. Additionally, the Apache Lucene website includes details on the syntax and boolean characters supported by the system.
Indexing is the process by which content is added to the search. Once the Quick Search functionality is turned on at the Account level, the site(s) can be indexed by Level 10 admins.
In order to utilize the Quick Search functionality, the search functionality must be turned on at the site level, and the index must be built for the first time. The steps to do this will be the same as the ones to be taken when a site index needs to be rebuilt.
When a site is indexed initially, it will be indexed going forward automatically. Even if the search functionality is turned off, the indexing will still occur. The only time that indexing is not completed automatically is when the content is loaded via an FTP upload, which requires a Level 10 admin to rebuild the index.
- To initially build or rebuild the index, first go to the "Setup" tab.
- In the "Setup" tab, navigate to "Sites," and locate the site to be indexed.
- Click on the "Edit" (wrench) button.
- To initially build the index, click on "Build Index."
- To rebuild the index, click on "Re-Build Index."
- This is also where the Quick Search can be turned on and off for the site by clicking on the checkbox next to "Search On."
Keep in mind that this will not remove any content that has already been indexed from
the search results, unless the option to apply recursively is available and selected,
and it only excludes that folder or page, but not subfolders.
Indexing will only index saved content. Any content that is currently being updated will not be indexed until it is saved. However, once the data is saved, it will be available for searching within approximately 10 seconds.
Quick Search will search through content and meta tags on the Staging Server. The search functionality will not search:
- Files on the Production Server, including binary files
- Recycle Bin
When a file or page is deleted or recycled, the content will automatically be removed from the indexing.
The search results may include pages to which the user may not have access.
Using Quick Search
If the Quick Search functionality is turned on, it is possible to search the staging server for content. This search allows the user to find content in order to easily navigate to a desired page.
Enter the desired search term(s) into the Quick Search field found in the Content > Pages window and click the magnifying glass.
The Advanced Search option includes specific delimiters and Boolean options that may be used. These include
Page Path, Title, Keywords, Description, Other Meta, and Content. The search parameters
may also be used to limit access to the current folder level and below and to the