Inserting a Video
TranscodeIt has been taken offline for renovations and improvements. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Inserting media via the WYSIWYG can still be accomplished as usual...
Both audio and video can be added with the Insert Media feature within the WYSIWYG Editor.
1. Navigate to the page and Editable Region where the video will be inserted.
2. From the WYSIWYG Toolbar, click the Insert/Edit Embedded Media icon.
3. From the General tab > Type, select the type of audio of audio or video to be embedded. The default is Flash. The following choices are available:
- HTML5 Video
- HTML5 Audio
- TranscodeIt (no longer available)
- Windows Media
- Real Media
4. Enter the URL to the external media or click on the browse button next to the File/URL field, and find the file to be included.
5. If browsing for media in the file chooser, simply navigate to and click on the desired file, similarly to browsing for images. Supported video types can also be uploaded based on permissions. This process mimics that of uploading new images. See Uploading Media for more information.
6. Click Select File.
7. Update any other settings that may need to be updated. The settings in the Advanced tab will be dictated by the Type selection made on the General tab.
8. Click on Insert.
The media will not render within the WYSIWYG Editor. Instead it will appear as a yellow box the size of the intended media. Once the page is saved, the video will render in the preview.
1. After clicking the browse button, in the resulting file chooser pop-up, click on the Upload button.
2. Browse for the desired file.
3. If necessary, rename the file in the New File Name (Optional) field. Be sure to include the file extension.
4. After finding the desired file on the local computer, click Upload.
5. Select the newly uploaded file to insert it on the page following the directions described above.
Inserting a YouTube video only takes a few steps.
- Find the video on YouTube.
- Copy the URL for the video from the top address bar.
- Go back to the page in OU Campus, and place the cursor at the location where the video should be displayed.
- Click on the Insert/Edit Media icon.
- Paste the YouTube URL into the Link URL box.
- Click on Insert.
If desired, the dimensions can also be updated to define the size of the displayed video.
The WYSIWYG editor uses the XHTML schema to validate the content when saving. In the case of an <iframe>, the "name" attribute is deprecated for XHTML, and will be removed. Please try using the id attribute instead, e.g., id="iframename".
There are a few reasons why a video may not render:
- The browser used to view the page does not have the correct plugin.
- The type of media specified is incorrect for the media. Make sure the video appears in the “Preview” screen inside of the Insert Media window.
- The video file has an incorrect or invalid file extension.