Using Image Galleries
Live Delivery Platform’s (LDP) Image Galleries feature allows users to easily create and manage image galleries in OU Campus™. Users can upload images into the gallery; provide a title, caption, and description; and drag and drop images to modify the order. OU Campus automatically generates thumbnails based on user-defined settings. An Image Gallery asset is only available on its originating site.
Note: Before an image gallery can be created, published, and utilized on pages within the site, an administrator needs to activate LDP and Assets, if not already, as well as have configured the templates to recognize the image gallery and render it properly within the page. See the LDP Administrator documentation for more information on the requirements.
Note: Live Delivery Platform is an optional set of features in OU Campus. Please contact the university’s designated OmniUpdate Sales Director for details.
Image Galleries utilize Java and as of software release 9.19.6 the Image Editor for Image Galleries on Mac is not available. If a Windows platform user does not have Java installed, the Image Editor will not be available either. Mac users (or Windows users without Java installed) should preprocess any images before uploading to an image gallery. This does not affect the use of the Image Editor within other areas of the CMS; for example, with the ability to upload an image from the WYSIWYG. This does not affect the ability to create and edit Image Gallery assets. For an Image Gallery assets, the file chooser is still available and the functionality to make thumbnail adjustments is still available. Any issues with utilizing the LDP Image Galleries can be directed to the OmniUpdate Support Team:
Level 4 users and above have access to create assets. Within assets is the ability to create an image gallery, which can be inserted by users to which access is granted.
- To create a new image gallery, navigate to Content > Assets.
- Click on New and then Image Gallery.
- Name the Image Gallery.
- Click Save.
-- Fill in the Description and Tags.
-- Set the thumbnail size, if different than the defaulted 100x100.
-- Select whether the image should maintain its original aspect ratio or be cropped based on the thumbnail size.
-- Select who has access to the gallery.
-- Upload the images, and give them titles, descriptions, and captions
-- Save updates.
A new image gallery is created. At any time the settings can be changed, and pictures can be added, deleted, or modified.
The new asset will now be available via the WYSIWYG Editor's Insert Asset icon, the Source Editor, or per an editable region, depending on the configuration
of the page being edited.
To add new images, simply click on either of the "New" buttons found under Images. Both do the same thing, and as images are added, the images will appear between them, leaving one button at the top and one at the bottom.
When "New" is clicked, a box will appear allowing a local image to be selected. Keep in mind that the image is to be selected from the computer, and it is not possible to browse for images already uploaded to the site.
Only one image can be selected at a time. When the desired image is located and selected,
a pop-up with the image will appear. This will be the same window that appears when
editing an image. Make any desired edits, and then use the "Upload As" button to complete the selection.
After uploading the new image, enter in the image's title, description, and caption. Repeat this process for all desired images.
Once images are uploaded, change the order of the images by simply dragging them to the desired order using the gray box with the four lines. It is possible to delete images using the X in the upper-right hand portion of the image's box
- Always click "Save" after making changes to the image gallery. While some changes may appear to take effect (e.g. resizing the thumbnail), the change will not commit unless the "Save" button is clicked.
- Both assets and LDP must be turned on for the account in order for the Image Gallery option to appear. See the LDP Administrator documentation for more information.
- When uploading images, the browser may present a warning that the digital signature could not be verified. Make sure to click "Run." It is advisable to check the box next to "Always trust content from this publisher" prior to clicking "Run."
- Image selections can only made locally from the computer. Currently, it is not possible to select images that already uploaded to the site by navigating using a file chooser.
- PNG files will be converted to JPG files when uploaded, which means that the alpha-channel (transparency) setting will be removed if it is being utilized, and the transparent portions will be black.
- If the dimensions of the thumbnail are greater than 150 pixels wide, when rolling
over the image in the preview area, the image will show up behind the Title, Description,
and Caption text. Only 300 total pixels will show, even if the image settings extend
greater than that, but the image will render as defined on the page.
-- It is valuable to maintain reasonable dimensions for the thumbnails.