Setting Up Send to Twitter
This section details how to setup the Send to Twitter feature of OU Campus™. To read more about actually sending to Twitter, please go to the Send to Twitter page.
The Twitter admin page can be found by navigating to Setup > Twitter.
Initially, the screen will be bereft of Twitter accounts:
- To add a Twitter account, click New Twitter Account.
- Enter a Description for the Twitter feed. Then click the Get Pin button.
- Click on Authorize App.
- Submit the Username and Password for the twitter account.
- Copy or write down the PIN provided.
- Enter the PIN in OU Campus.
- Click Submit. The green message indicates success and the Twitter account is accessible via OU Campus.
Modifying Twitter Account Options
The next step is to determine who can publish to the account. After the Twitter account has been added, the following screen can be used to modify the account settings. Account settings can be modified at any time by clicking on the Edit icon from Setup > Twitter.
After linking the Twitter account, it is possible to update the following options:
- Name: Hyperlinked name takes the administrator to the Twitter account. This is not editable.
- Description: This can help users decide to which Twitter account they want to send the tweet.
- Enabled: Allows the administrator the ability to enable or disable the Twitter account. Clearing the checkbox disables the Twitter account but keeps it linked in OU Campus, which also allows any reporting associated with the account to still be available.
- Access: Allows the administrator to identify the group that has access to send tweets to the identified Twitter account. The None group indicates that no group has been assigned and only Level 9 and Level 10 have access to publish with Twitter. The system group, Everyone, grants access to all users.
The final screen, after entering a few Twitter accounts will look similar to this:
From this screen, Twitter accounts can be edited at any time by clicking on the hyperlinked name of the account or the wrench icon. Remember to commit all changes using the Save button.
Using the Refresh icon refreshes the reporting of any tweets that were sent to the Twitter account. If the name or avatar for a Twitter account changes on twitter.com, the Refresh button can be used to update that account in OU Campus.
If a Twitter account needs to be deleted, use the trash can icon. Remember, this deletes any reporting associated with the Twitter account.
Adding Default Text for Twitter
At the account level and for each site, default text can be added so that it will be available to users at the time of page publish or with a scheduled publish. To utilize Send to Twitter and Send to Facebook during page publish, Twitter and Facebook account settings must be configured from Setup > Twitter and Setup > Facebook.
At the Account Level
- Navigate to Setup >Account.
- Under the Publish Settings options, there is a field called Default Tweet/Wall Post.
- Enter a Default Tweet/Wall Post. This sets the default text for tweets and wall posts for the sites within an account, which can be used or edited at the time of page publish when the Send to Twitter or Send to Facebook checkbox is selected. This allows standardized text elements to be defined; for example, the hashtag or name for the institution might be included to help minimize typographical errors, or reinforce branding or trending topics. A maximum of 140 characters are allowed for Twitter, and 420 for Facebook.
- Click Submit and save changes.
Note: Keep in mind that the default text can be overridden at the site level or during page publish.
For a Site or Sites
The configuration of default text for sending to Facebook or Twitter at the site level is similar to that of configuration at the account level.
- Navigate to Setup > Sites and click the Edit icon for the site.
- Under the Publish Settings options, define the Default Tweet/Wall Post. This sets the default text for tweets and wall posts for the sites within an account,
which can be used or edited at the time of page publish when the Send to Twitter or Send to Facebook checkbox is selected. This allows standardized text elements to be defined; for example,
the hashtag or name for the institution might be included to help minimize typographical
errors, or reinforce branding or trending topics. A maximum of 140 characters are
allowed for Twitter, and 420 for Facebook.
- Click Submit to save changes. Keep in mind that the default can be overridden during page publish.
Twitter Groups: It is recommended that you create a user group for each Twitter account and set the access to that group.
Multiple Groups: If a user is a member of group A that has permission to tweet and group B that doesn't, the user will be allowed to tweet when publishing a page accessed through group B.
Deleting a Twitter Account: When a Twitter account is deleted, all tweets to that account are removed from the database and cannot be retrieved. Thus, those tweets will not show up in the Custom Reports. To disable the account and still keep the information, uncheck the Enabled check box.