This section details how to set up a Twitter account for integration with OU Campus. To read more about sending to Twitter at the time of publish, please visit the Twitter page.
Setting up a Twitter Account
The administration of Twitter with OU Campus involves adding one or more Twitter accounts, and authorizing the accounts and the app. Once an account has been added into OU Campus, users can perform various account management actions as necessary, such as modifying the access group and disabling the account.
To set up a new Twitter account:
- Navigate to Setup > Twitter.
- Click the New button in the top right of the Twitter screen.
- A modal will appear. Enter the username and password for the desired Twitter account
and click Authorize App.
- The Twitter account will automatically authorize OU Campus to access it, and a new modal will appear, confirming the authorization of the account
and a prompt to save the new account. Administrators can add a Description for the account in this modal, as well as configure which users will be able to publish
tweets to this account.
- Click Save.
The Twitter account will now be available to be modified from the Twitter screen and for users to send updates to on publish.
Modifying Twitter Account Options
After a Twitter account has been linked to OU Campus, administrators can edit the settings for each account. To edit the account options of a Twitter account:
- Select Edit by either:
- Hovering over the appropriate Twitter account and selecting the Edit icon under the Enabled/Options column.
- Selecting the appropriate Twitter account via the checkbox to the left of the account
name and clicking the blue Edit button that appears in the table header.
- Clicking on the hyperlinked name of the account.
- Account Name: This shows the Twitter handle that is attached to the account. The name of the account can only be changed on Twitter, and not in OU Campus.
- Description: This can help users decide to which Twitter account they want to send the tweet. As a best practice, provide a description of the account during setup.
- Available To: This is the group of users who will have the ability to send tweets to the selected account during page publish. The default value is (Level 10 Administrators Only).
- Enabled: This allows the administrator the ability to enable or disable the Twitter account. Clearing the checkbox disables the Twitter account but keeps it linked in OU Campus, which also allows any reporting associated with the account to still be available. Enabling the account allows users to publish to the account.
Deleting a Twitter Account
If a Twitter account needs to be deleted, an administrator may either:
- Hover over the appropriate account and click the Delete icon.
- Select the account via the checkbox to the left of the account name and click the blue Delete button that appears in the table header.
Note: Deleting a Twitter account deletes any reporting associated with the Twitter account. To keep any associated reporting but disable the account, make sure the Enabled box is not checked in the Twitter account's settings.
Adding Default Text for Twitter
At the account and site level, Administrators can configure default text that will be pre-populated in the field when users choose to use the Send to Twitter feature when publishing a page. For more information, visit the Send to Twitter page.
Note: Any default text added at the account level will be overridden by adding default text at the site level. Users are always able to override the configured default text at time of publish.
Default Text at the Account Level
- Navigate to Setup >Account.
- Under the Publish Settings options, locate the field called Default Tweet/Wall Post.
- Enter a Default Tweet/Wall Post. This sets the default text for tweets and Facebook wall posts for the sites within an account, which can be used or edited at the time of page publish. This allows standardized text elements to be defined; for example, the hashtag or name for the institution might be included to help minimize typographical errors, or reinforce branding or trending topics. A maximum of 280 characters is allowed for tweets.
- Click Save Settings and save changes.
Default Text at the Site Level
The configuration of default text for sending to Facebook or Twitter at the site level is similar to that of configuration at the account level.
- Navigate to Setup > Sites.
- Edit the settings for the appropriate site. Edit can be selected by either:
- Hovering over the desired site and selecting Edit > Site.
- Selecting the appropriate site via the checkbox to the left of the site name and clicking the blue Edit button that appears in the table header.
- By clicking on the hyperlinked name of the desired site.
Twitter Groups: It is recommended to create a user group for each Twitter account and set the access to that group.
Multiple Groups: If a user is a member of group A that has permission to tweet and a member of group B that does not, the user will still be allowed to tweet when publishing a page that is accessed through group B.
Deleting a Twitter Account: When a Twitter account is deleted, all tweets to that account are removed from the database and cannot be retrieved. Thus, those tweets will not show up in the Custom Reports. To disable the account and still keep the information, clear the Enabled check box found under the Twitter account's settings.