Administrators can manage tags and collections of tags through Setup > Tags. Tags are used to sort and filter pages, files, and assets within OU Campus to make them easier to locate, and are not site-specific but shared account-wide. A collection refers to tags that are grouped together. From Setup > Tags, tags can be added, edited, deleted, and sorted into collections (which can also be edited or deleted). Tags can also be disabled, to prevent them from being used, and merged, as a way to replace or combine existing tags.
The Tags List View provides an overview of every tag that has been added with the account, in addition to every collection. It provides the option to sort and filter among tags and collections and the ability to create a new tag or collection. Hovering over a tag or collection brings up the options to edit, disable, or delete.
Hovering over a tag or collection will bring up three options: Edit, Disable, and Delete.
- Edit: Provides the ability to change tags, or in the case of collections change the name of the collection as well as the tags it contains. If a tag is changed, it will automatically be changed on any pages containing that tag as well.
- Disable: By disabling a tag or collection, you ensure that that tag or tags within that collection
are unable to be used in the entire account. If an existing tag is disabled, it will
not be removed from the pages or files it is on, but cannot be used as a filter in
searches. Disabled tags will appear to be greyed-out.
- A disabled tag can be enabled simply by hovering over it and clicking Enable. As long as the disabled tags have not been removed, they will immediately function again.
- Delete: Deleting a tag removes it from all existing content.
It is also possible to disable or delete multiple tags at a time by selecting them via the checkbox and selecting Delete or Disable in the blue bar at the top.
Creating New Content
Creating a New Tag
- To create a new tag, navigate to Setup > Tags and click the New button in the upper right-hand corner.
- The Type "Tag" will be selected by default. Simply type in the tag you want and click Create. Tags can include lowercase and capital letters, numbers, spaces, punctuation, and special characters
- If you attempt to create a tag that already exists, an error message will appear.
Creating a New Collection
Collections are groupings of related tags used to filter which tags users are allowed to place on pages within directories.
- To create a new collection, navigate to Setup > Tags and click the New button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select "Collection" from the Type drop-down menu.
- Type in a name for the collection. Collections and tags cannot share names.
- In the Tags field, type in all the tags you wish to have as part of the collection. As you type in tags, OU Campus will provide matching suggestions from existing tags. It is also possible to create new tags by typing them in.
A new collection may also be collected by selecting the existing tags you wish to be in the collection and selecting "Create Collection" from the blue bar at the top of the list.
When multiple tags are selected, it is possible to merge them. Merging tags combines two or more tags into a single one, replacing all merged tags on pages and files with the singular tag. When merging tags, they can only be merged into one of the tags that is already selected.
- To merge tags, select the tags you wish to merge by clicking the checkbox to their left. Make sure that you have not selected a collection, as collections cannot be merged.
- Select Merge from the blue bar on the top of the list.
- Choose a tag from the dropdown to merge them into. You are only able to choose from one of the tags you have selected.
- Merge tags.
In the above example, if all tags are merged into "english," then any instance of the tags "literature" or "shakespeare" will be replaced with "english." "Literature" and "shakespeare" will then be disabled from use. Enabling those tags will not restore them to the pages they were previously on.