In OU Campus, an administrator has the ability to add a new gadget from the Gadgets screen. This screen can be accessed from the global navigation bar by selecting Setup > Gadgets. Level 10 administrators can add new gadgets. Before adding a gadget to the system, it will need to be written or created. When adding a new gadget, an administrator will have to enter a URL path where an OU Campus-specific gadget file structure has been uploaded to in order to be able to fetch the data. The path must be a complete URL, one that will be accessible to the gadget users, and end in a slash. Once created, the gadget will be available.
Adding a Gadget
- Navigate to the Gadgets screen by selecting Setup > Gadgets.
- Click New.
- The Add Gadget modal is displayed.
- In the Text Field enter a valid URL path, i.e., the full path as it appears in the browser. This should
start with http:// and end with a slash /. This should be the location containing
the HTML index or a generated HTML file that includes the gadget scripting. The directory should also contain the config.xml
for the gadget.
- Click Fetch. The Configure Gadget modal is displayed.
- The Name field is populated based on the value of the <entry> attribute node with the title key and the text string can be edited here.
- Configure the access settings and gadget-specific properties, if necessary. See Edit Gadget and Creating Gadgets for more details.
- Click Save.
The gadget should be immediately available on the Dashboard or the Gadgets sidebar, except in the case that it is a gadget that is only shown in a specific area of the interface, such as the WYSIWYG Editor.