A level 10 administrator can edit certain configuration options for both system and custom gadgets in the OU Campus system. Keep in mind that the configuration options available through the Gadgets setup screen are limited. Changes in any of the code in the gadget files would need to be accomplished in the location of the gadget files. Other than that, the Edit Gadget dialog includes the following groupings with editable items:
- Name: A custom gadget can be renamed
- Access: Access settings for gadgets include the ability to assign an Available To group. The Available To setting is not configurable for administrator-only gadgets.
- Properties: A gadget may or may not include configurable properties and are specific to a gadget
Location: Setup > Gadgets > hover over a gadget and click Edit
System vs. Custom Gadgets
System gadgets may have configurable access settings, display options, and custom properties that can be modified, but the gadget itself cannot be renamed or deleted from the account via the OU Campus interface. The Snippets gadget, specifically, includes a property by which an access group can be assigned for source code access.
A custom gadget can be refreshed. The Refresh button is available on the Gadgets screen with a hover over the list. When used, this resets the value of the gadget-specific properties to the initial config.xml values. This will overwrite the changes made at an administrator level, but not those made by the user. In other words, when making changes to the config.xml file, in order to make the changes active, republish the file and click Refresh from the Gadgets screen.
Edit Gadget Modal Reference
The Edit Gadget Modal displays the following:
- Name: The user-friendly name of the gadget predefined by the administrator. When creating
a gadget this is defined within the <entry> node with the "title" key. It can take
a string value, which is displayed in the title bar of the gadget. These are defined
in the config.xml.
System gadgets cannot be renamed.
- URL: The URL path to the directory that contains the gadget. When creating a gadget,
the HTML page must be a complete URL and accessible to the gadget users.
System gadgets do not display the URL.
- Types: The type of gadget refers to where it is displayed or accessed from in regards to the interface of the OU Campus system. When creating a gadget this is defined within the <entry> node with the "types" key. It can take a value of dashboard, sidebar, or both when creating a gadget. These are defined in the config.xml.
- Available To: Allows an administrator to assign an access group to a gadget whose members are
allowed to use the gadget. The Available To setting is not configurable for administrator-only gadgets.
- Display Option: The display options can be used to set the default view for a gadget. This effects
the end-user and how/if they can show/hide the gadget. Display Options include:
- Always On: Forces the gadget to always show on the Dashboard or Gadget sidebar
- Default On: Shows the gadget by default and each user has the option to show/hide the gadget
- Default Off: Hides the gadget by default and each user has the option to show/hide the gadget
- Properties: Displays the configurable properties defined in the config.xml file of the gadget.
Editing a Gadget
- Navigate to the Gadgets screen by selecting Setup > Gadgets.
- Hover over the gadget row to view the available options and select Edit or click the linked gadget to edit.
- From the Edit Gadgets modal make any changes and then click Save.