Within the Versions screen, the Compare feature allows users to compare different versions of a page. Compare allows a user or reviewer (e.g., an approver) to easily identify changes that have been made to a given page by comparing the current version of the page that exists on the staging server to either the page currently on the production server (the last published version of the page), to any prior published versions, or to any version explicitly saved by the Save Version function. Comparing versions is also supported by Multi-Target Publish and a version on a publish target can be selected, if Multi-Target Publish is in use.
Additions, deletions, and format changes of page content are displayed graphically, so that users can easily see what changes have been made across versions.
The Compare feature is located on the Versions screen, which shows a list of versions of a page. Versions can be accessed in either of two ways:
- From the Pages list view, check out the page. Hover over the page row and from the Review menu, choose Versions.
- Enter the Preview or Edit mode of a checked out page. Click the Versions button in the Page Actions toolbar.
Either method directs the user to the Versions screen, from where users can compare versions. From the versions screen, users can also view previous versions of the page and revert back to previous versions.
When comparing versions, OU Campus will compare the current version on the staging server with either the current version on the production server or any other version that exists in the versioning system. When a comparison is made, users can view either the page or source view, and choose whether includes are shown or hidden.
Comparing to Live
- From the Versions screen click the Compare to Live button. If configured and available, a publish target may be selected by clicking
the drop-down arrow on the button.
- If so desired, click Hide Includes to hide any include files that are part of the rendered page.
- Additionally, if it is required to view a comparison of the source code, click Source to view a comparison of the source code. If viewing the source, the includes are pulled in automatically.
Comparing with a Previous Version
- From the Versions screen, hover over the version row item and from the Compare menu, select Page.
- When comparing the staging version with previous versions, the different versions can be scrolled through or a version number can be entered with which to compare. Users can also hide includes and view the source code of the page, just as with Compare to Live.
Examples and Legends
The following table lists the mark-up types and color-coding for comparing to the live production page in page view. For example, text that is shown in red strikethrough indicates text that was deleted. Green underlined text indicates that the text was added. Blue text with a squiggly underline indicates text that underwent a formatting change such as having applied bold or italics to the text.
|Type of Change||Color||Style|
|Formatting Change||Blue||Squiggly underline|
Example of Live Version Comparison
Source and Other Versions
When comparing to the live production server version in source view or when comparing to any other version the markup is slightly different as no blue markup is provided. Any addition of text or formatting change is show in green (not underlined).
|Type of Change||Color||Style|
|Addition or Formatting Change||Green||Plain Text|
Example of Source Comparison
Approvers can use this feature when reviewing a page prior to publishing it. The approver (depending on the page’s access settings) can then elect to publish the page, schedule it for publish, send it to another user for review, decline to publish it but keep the changes, which then sends it back to the requester, or decline to publish it and revert to the previous version. This also sends it back to the requester.
If the approver does not have publishing rights, only Send to User and Decline & Keep will be visible.