Creating a New Section
Creating a new section creates a new content-based directory. The new section template contains all of the necessary files to make pages within the new directory render correctly. Creating a new folder does not create new default files. The New Folder option should be used for binary file management (e.g. the organization of PDF or image files), and New Section should be used for pages. New sections should be created from the desired location within the folder structure, and a new section can be used as a main content area or as a subdirectory. Not all users have the authority to create new sections.
The New Section template will differ depending on the implementation, so the onscreen items can include a wide variety of fields in the New Section modal. Typically, when users create a new section, the following elements are available:
- Directory Name: Defines the name of the section (folder) that is being created. This name will be used in the file navigation and the page URL, so make sure to use appropriate naming conventions.
- Page Title: The friendly name of the index page that will be created inside the new section.
- Description: Add a short meta description of the index page.
- Add Navigation Item: Determines whether the system will place a link to the new index page in the navigation file that will be created inside the new section.
Creating a New Section
A new section can be created from the Pages list view by using the New button, or the drop-down menu. The New button and the drop-down menu look slightly different but can both be used to create a new section.
When creating a new section, the supporting files and the section's home or index page are often created automatically. The difference between creating a new folder and creating a new section is that when creating a new section, the template can be configured to create the supporting files and initial pages as well. Creating a new folder does not create new default files. The New Folder option should be used for binary file management (e.g. the organization of PDF or image files), and New Section should be used for pages.
To create a new section:
- Navigate to the directory where the new section will be created by selecting Content > Pages from the global navigation bar.
- Click the New button from within the folder structure, or use the drop-down menu.
- Select New Section. Do not create a new directory by using New Folder. If New Section is unavailable, contact an administrator.
- Fill out the necessary fields in the New Section modal.
- Click Create.
Creating a New Section Video
Creating a New Section in OU Campus from OU Campus Training on Vimeo.
Note: If you are creating a new section using a template designated for RSS use (e.g. a "News Section" template), you must go into its access settings after the section is created to assign the RSS feed.