Anchors are tags you can insert into a page that can then subsequently be linked to, both on the same page and external pages. This is useful if you have a page with a lot of content, or specific sections. For example, on a page about academic scholarships, you might create anchors for sections about specific scholarships, and then link to those anchors at the top of the page so students can easily find that information.
Inserting an Anchor
To insert an anchor, simply place your cursor in the editable region where you would like the anchor to be and select the Anchor icon. Enter a name for the anchor in the modal that pops up. The name should be simple and alphanumeric, e.g. example. There is no need to append it with a hashtag.
To delete an anchor, either select the enter and hit backspace/delete, or place the cursor after the anchor and backspace it away.
Linking to an Anchor
Anchors are useful to direct users to an appropriate heading on a particular page. If anchors exist in the editable region that is currently being viewed, the Anchors drop-down menu will appear in the General tab of the Insert/Edit Link modal.
To link to an anchor in the same editable region:
- Click Insert/Edit Link in the WYSIWYG toolbar.
- In the General tab, find the Anchors drop-down menu and select the desired anchor.
- The Anchor will appear as #anchor_name in the Link URL field.
- Click Insert.
Alternatively, simply type #anchor_name in the Link URL field directly.
When referencing an anchor that exists on the same page as the link, but in a different editable region, the anchor will need to be hand-typed in the Link URL field, as opposed to being chosen from the Anchors drop-down menu.
Anchors can also be referenced when linking to a different page. To link to another page (internal or external) and reference an anchor:
- Open the Insert/Edit Link modal.
- Insert the link to the desired page as normal (by either browsing for the internal link or pasting the fully-qualified external URL)
- Add #anchor_name to the end of the dependency tag or URL in the Link URL field.
- Click Insert. The link will now point to the desired page and send the user to the appropriate anchor on that page.