OU Calendar has a number of different settings, both for the public calendar and for the admin interface, that can be configured.
The Settings menu contains two sections:
There are many fields under the "Preferences" category. These fields are:
These settings relate to the general functionality of OU Calendar.
- Default Browse: The default view of calendar events - daily, weekly, or monthly
- Float Browse: When on, events will be displayed relative to the current date, i.e. next seven days, next thirty days, etc. When off, events will be displayed based on calendar week/month.
- Browse Limit: "Current Only" restricts browsing of the calendar to current or future events. "All Dates" allows users to see past events as well.
- Default State: Presets the region option in forms, such as when creating locations
- Mini-Cal Start: Chooses the day of the week the Mini-Cal starts with
- WYSIWYG Editor: Select the type of editor used when creating content (such as event and locations descriptions)
- Location Selection: Controls input method available when selecting a location while creating an event. "AJAX Search" provides a dynamic location match, while "Select List" presents a static HTML list of all locations.
- Default Search Window: Default number of days displayed for searching events
- Past Send to Friend: When set to "On," public calendar users will be able to email details from past events to other users
These settings are specifically for the admin interface of OU Calendar.
- Password Age: After the number of days specified, users will be prompted to change their password
- Sign In Attempts Limit: Number of failed login attempts permitted within a 24-hour period. Once the limit is reached, the account is locked for 24 hours.
- Password Strength: Choose between "Allow Any Password" or "Enforce Minimum Strength." When enforced, password must contain at least six characters including one number, one capital letter, and one alphanumeric character
- Report Stats: When enabled, anonymous summarized data regarding your calendar is reported, used for aggregate statistical analysis to help with calendar support.
Configure the email address used by your OU Calendar. This is the email that will send out newsletters and other calendar communications.
- Send As Address: The address that users will receive emails from
- Send As Name
- Send Email Using: Choose between "PHP mail() Function" and "PHPMailer Class."
- PHP mail() Function: Emails will be sent using the native PHP function. Using this setting requires that your PHP installation be configured to send emails using native resources
- PHPMailer Class: Emails will be sent using the PHPMailer Class and provide advanced support. If this
option is selected, additional fields will come up:
- Mail Host: Hostname of the mail server
- Port Number: Port number to use when connecting to the mail server
- Security: Security protocol to use when connecting to the mail server
- Authentication: Authentication form to use when connecting to the mail server
- Password: Appears if a password is currently saved
- New Password
- Confirm Password
- Test Settings: Enter an email address in the field and select "Send Test Email" to verify your settings are working correctly
Settings relating to sending out newsletters.
- Public Newsletter Tools: When turned off, users cannot subscribe to the newsletter or view the public archive
- Batch Size: Number of email newsletters to send per batch. Sending emails in batches, as opposed to en masse, helps reduce server load
- Batch Delay: Seconds to wait in between batches
The language used by your OU Calendar.
- Default Language: Unless you download the language pack, only English will be available
- TinyMCE Language Pack: Available for download
Spam Prevention CAPTCHAs
These settings configure the use of CAPTCHA for public users submitting events or subscribing.
- CAPTCHA Type: Choose from "None," "Helios Native," or "reCAPTCHA"
- Active CAPTCHA: Select which public actions require CAPTCHA authentication
Public Event Submission
Settings limiting the use of public event submissions.
- Public Event Submission: On or Off
- Session Submission Limit: Maximum number of events that can be submitted per user session
- Public Event Categories: Allow users to select categories for events when submitting them. These categories can be reviewed by admins before approval.
Configuration options for displaying events. List size is determined by number of events or items.
- Billboard Max List Size
- Most Popular Max List Size
- Newest Max List Size
- Auto Fill Billboard: When on, OU Calendar adds a list of upcoming events ot the bottom of your Billboard if there are fewer Billboard events than the max list size set above
- Event Series Display: Show all events in a series, or limit the display to only the next event
- Start Time: Check to show event start times
Options for making content available from OU Calendar to other sites.
- RSS Feeds
- RSS Max Feed Size
- RSS Truncate: Length, in characters, of descriptions on RSS feed items
- iCalendar Feeds
- iCalendar Max Feed Size
- iCalendar Truncate
- iCalendar Min Refresh: Minimum recommended wait, in minutes, before iCalendar is automatically refreshed
Date & Time Formats
- Current Server Time
- Offset Server Time: If your calendar is hosted in a timezone different than the one you wish to display it in, use the drop-down to adjust the for the difference
- Date Input Format
- Date Output Format
- Time Input Format
- Time Output Format
- Mini-Calendar Select Format
- Mini-Calendar Day Format
Weather and Map Links
The full links of weather and maps that you want to display with events, with variables.
Pending Event Messages
The messages that are sent to users who have submitted events upon approval or declining of their submission. These utilize a WYSIWYG editor with formatting options.
Make sure to Save Settings if you have made any changes.
The following settings allow you to optimize your OU Calendar for search engine indexing. Page titles, keywords, and descriptions can be configured, as well as some overall settings.
The overall settings are:
- Indexing: Allow or disallow. If not indexed, the calendar is not visible to search engines
- Hide Events After: Days after event end when an event is invisible to search engines. Set to "0" for no expiry
- Sitemap Size: Size limit, in number of URLs, for event and venue sitemap files
- Bot Filter: Regular expression used to filter event views
The following items can have a page title, keywords, and description configured. Recommended settings are up to 60 characters for title, 10 to 12 keywords, and a description of up to 150 characters.
- What's New Digest
- Event Browse
- Location Map
- Event Submission
- Event Search
- Event Search Results
- Newsletter Welcome
- Newsletter Subscription
- Newsletter Archive
- Email to a Friend
- Event RSVP
- Calendar Tools
- RSS Feed Builder
- Event Browse Filter
- Public Calendar Sign In
- Public User Account
A theme will be configured for you as part of your OU Calendar implementation. The themes settings of OU Calendar does not allow for actual editing of the theme, just for switching between pre-configured available themes.
APIs, or Application Program Interfaces, are a set of routines, protocols and tools that specify how software components should interact. OU Calendar APIs both configure the calendar itself's APIs and allow for integration with third-party services.
Local Helios API
The local API settings relate to OU Calendar directly, and configure how to provide access to calendar data. The settings are:
- API Status: When turned off, all API requests are redirected to the homepage
- Cache Type: "None" or "File"
- Event List Max Size: Maximum number of events returned for API calls
- Newsletter List Max Size: Maximum number of newsletters returned for API calls
OU Calendar can be integrated with a number of third-party APIs: Maps (Google or OpenLayers), Comments (Disqus, Facebook, or Livefyre), Facebook, Twitter, Google, Eventbrite, and bitly.
- Maps Library: Google or OpenLayers
- If OpenLayers is selected, you can choose the map tiles provider: Google Maps, Bing Maps, MapQuest, and Yahoo Maps. Yahoo and Bing require a unique API key.
- Event & Profile Map Zoom: How far zoomed in the default map in the calendar is displayed
- Location Browse: Turning it off disables the following settings
- Map Syndication: When turned on, public calendar tools include code and instructions to embed the locations map on a website
- Locations Map Zoom
- Locations Map Center: Define latitude and longitutde
For information on creating a Google Map Key for Helios, view this document.
Comments can be configured via Disqus, Facebook, or Livefyre. The options available depend on which you choose from the "Calendar Comments" dropdown.
- Disqus: Site Shortname is required. This is created when registering with Disqus
- Facebook: Available if your calendar is already connected to Facebook. Set the number of comments to display and the width in-pixels of the comments plugin
- Livefyre: Unique site ID is required. This is created when registering with Livefyre
Connecting with a Facebook page allows you to post on that page with the publication of an event. Application IDs are provided by Facebook. Turning "Sign in with Facebook" on allows for users to sign into the public calendar via their Facebook accounts.
Connecting with a Twitter account allows you to post a tweet with the publication of events. The consumer key is provided by Twitter. You can also configure a hashtag to be automatically added to any tweets posted from the calendar.
Your OU Calendar can also be connected to a Google account; the client ID is provided by Google. If "Sign in with Google" is toggled on, users can sign into the public calendar using their Google account.
Connecting OU Calendar to Eventbrite allows you to create events in Eventbrite and enable ticket purchasing. The Eventbrite API and user keys are provided with an Eventbrite account.
bitly is a service that creates shortened URLs for events, for ease of remembering and typing, or simply to take up less visual space on a page. The bitly API key is provided with a bitly account.