Last Replace Results
The results of the last replace action that was performed are shown on the Last Replace Results screen, which is a part of the Find and Replace tool. This is available to any level 10 administrators within the account and the results remain available even if a find-only action has been executed after the last replace.
The ability to view previous replace results can be useful; if a global replace for a site makes unwanted changes to a page, an administrator can review the last replace results to determine if the previous replace needs to be reverted and the pages re-published.
Since last replace results can be available even after other revisions have been made to content, a mechanism is provided to disable revert if a newer version exists as usually it is not intended to overwrite later revisions with a revert. However, this can be overridden with the Enable Revert For All Files Button.
The Last Replace Results screen is similar to the Find Results screen and includes:
- A summary of the action in the Replace Summary panel
- A list of the results of the last replace action
- The ability to filter or sort the results list
- Exporting results to a CSV file, which includes a summary and details similar to the list
- Links to the page preview for each page
- Number of matches within each file or asset
- Clicking through to an older version of the content. A red number indicates there is a newer version than the one that is linked to. Blue indicates a link to the most recent versions. Both compare the linked-to version to the current version staging showing the change in compare mode.
- Last date and time of the last save
- Enable Revert for All Files
The Replace Summary panel provides information about the search criteria and replace results as follows:
- Search Type: Denotes the type of search that was performed, which can be Literal Text or Regular Expression
- Date Replaced: The date and time that the replace was made
- User: The name of the user who performed the action
- Search String: The target content that was replaced
- Replace String: The content that was used to replace the search string.
- Files Committed: The number of files or assets on which content was replaced.
- Message: The Version Description that was included (if any)
Reverting the Last Replace
An administrator has the ability to revert the changes enacted by the previously performed Find and Replace search using the Revert button. This option is useful if unwanted changes were made to the content with the previous replace.
If the file has a newer version saved than the one saved through the replace process, the version number is indicated in red rather than blue. For example, the version number listed under Old Version is 1. On hover, there is a message that indicates that there is a newer version available. In this case it is 2. When this is the case, revert for the content is disabled. Clicking the red version number shows a preview of the version to which the page would be reverted.
All files on screen, regardless of any selections that have been made, can be forced to be enabled for revert by clicking the orange Enable Revert For All Files button in the fixed footer. Publish is still available regardless of whether revert is enabled or not.
To revert the last replace results:
- Navigate to the Last Replace Results screen by selecting Content > Find and Replace > Last Replace Results.
- Optionally, review the summary, results, and compare versions as necessary.
- Use the version compare to determine the correct version to which to revert before using the Enable Revert For All Files button.
- Select the content on which to perform the revert. Click the Enable Revert For All Files button if needed to revert to revision listed in red.
- Click Revert. A dialog will open prompting the user to cancel or confirm the action.
- Click Revert.
If the operation was successful, a system message will display indicating success. The action will also be confirmed in the Status column.
- Publish any content to make it available on the web site.